Narratively Service User Agreement
©2012-2016 Narratively. All Rights Reserved.
- 1. Welcome to Narratively, Inc. (“Narratively”). The mission of Narratively is to spotlight ordinary people with extraordinary stories (the “Services”) through our website available at http://narrative.ly (the “Site”). To provide the Services, we are setting some ground rules for using the Site in this document (the “Terms”). By accessing, using, or contributing to the Services or the Site, and in consideration for the Services we provide to you, you agree to abide by the Terms. Our Services are currently free to all users. Narratively may change the Terms from time to time, at Narratively’s sole discretion. Your continued use of the Site following the posting of such changes will constitute your assent to all such changes. Please periodically visit this section of the Site to review the current version of the Terms.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY and LIMITATION OF LIABILITIES
- 2. THE SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR OTHERWISE. WITHOUT LIMITATION, WE DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES REGARDING THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, AND PERFORMANCE OF ALL SERVICES ASSOCIATED WITH USE OF THE SITE. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, THAT YOUR USE OF THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, OR ERROR-FREE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE DISCLAIMER OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, SO PORTIONS OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMER MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- 4. This Site (including, but not limited to, text, photographs, graphics, video and audio content) is protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries. All individual articles, content and other elements comprising this Service are also copyrighted works. You must abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained on this Site.
- 5. Except for content you have posted on this Site, or unless expressly permitted, you may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, enter into a database, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any part of this Site, except that you may download material from this Site for your own personal use as follows: you may make one machine readable copy and/or one print copy that is limited to occasional articles of personal interest only. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you may not distribute any part of this Site over any network, including a local area network, nor sell or offer it for sale. In addition, these files may not be used to construct any kind of database. For more information on our Rights & Permissions policy, please write to:
Narratively, Inc., 30 John St., 1st Fl., Brooklyn, NY 11201. You may also email Narratively at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6. Narratively has been specially designed for presentation of content in a unique format and appearance to our users. We are concerned about the integrity of our Services when it is viewed in a setting created by a third party that includes advertising or other materials that we have not authorized to be displayed with our Services. Neither you nor any third party shall make use of the contents of the Service in any manner that constitutes an infringement of our rights, including copyright that has not been authorized by us.
- 7. Just as Narratively requires users to respect our copyrights, and those of our affiliates and partners, we respect the copyrights of others. If you are a copyright owner and you believe that your copyrighted materials have been used in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please see our DMCA Notice Policy.
- 8. To utilize the Site and Services, or certain portions thereof, you may be required to complete a registration process and establish an account with Narratively (“Narratively Account”). You represent and warrant that all information provided by you to Narratively is current, accurate, and complete, and that you will maintain the accuracy and completeness of this information on a prompt, timely basis.
Password and Security
- 9. As a registered user of the Site and Services, you may receive or establish one or more passwords. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your password(s) and Narratively Account(s). You understand and agree that you a fully responsible for all actions and postings made from your Narratively Account(s). Any accounts you create are not transferrable. You agree to notify Narratively immediately if you become aware of any unauthorized use of your Narratively Account(s).
- 10. Narratively respects the privacy of our users. The Privacy Notice is expressly incorporated herein by reference and made a part of these Terms.
- 11. Narratively reserves the right to terminate your Narratively Account(s) or restrict access to your Narratively Account(s), or to delete any content posted through your Narratively Account(s), with or without notice, for any or for no reason, and without any liability to you.
- 12. You understand that material made available by Narratively is a product of a community effort and does not necessarily represent the views of Narratively. Narratively assumes no responsibility for the accuracy, suitability, or completeness of any content provided.
- 13. You understand that Narratively does not and cannot review all material made available through websites linked or linking to any part of the Site. You also understand that no such linking implies in any way that Narratively endorses or is affiliated with any third-party website. You agree that Narratively bears no responsibility or liability for any content accessed or harm caused from any third-party website.
Acts Against the Site/Services
- 14. You shall not attempt or engage in potentially harmful acts that are directed against the Site or Services including, without limitation, the following:
- a. (a) Using the Site or Services in contravention of any other agreement to which you are a party, including without limitation any employment agreement to which you may be a party; (b) causing, allowing, or assisting any other person to use your Narratively Account(s) or impersonate you; (c) sharing your password or login with any other person; (d) logging onto a server or Narratively Account(s) that you are not authorized to access; (e) forging user names, manipulating identifiers, or otherwise impersonating any other person or misrepresenting your identity or affiliation with any person or entity; (f) emulating or faking usage of the Site or Services; (g) violating or attempting to violate any security features of the Site; (h) using manual or automated software, devices, scripts, robots, or other means or processes to access, “scrape,” “crawl,” or “spider” any pages contained in the Site; (i) introducing viruses, worms, software, Trojan horses, or other similar harmful code into the Site or Services; (j) interfering or attempting to interfere with the use of the Site by any other user, host, or network, including without limitation by means of submitting a virus, overloading, “flooding,” “spamming,” “mail bombing,” “pinging,” or “crashing” the Site; (k) causing, allowing or assisting machines, bots, or automated services to access or use the Site or Services without the express written permission of Narratively; (l) tampering with the operation, functionality, or the security of the Site or Services; (m) attempting to override or circumvent any security or usage rules embedded into the Site or Services that permit digital materials to be protected; (n) attempting to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of the Site, or any associated system or network, or breach any security or authentication measures; (o) misusing, tricking, disrupting, or otherwise interfering with the functioning of the Site or Services; (p) harvesting or collecting email addresses or other contact information of other users or clients from the Site by electronic or other means; (q) reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling, deciphering, or otherwise attempting to derive the source code for any underlying intellectual property used to provide the Site or Services; (r) engaging in “framing,” “mirroring,” or otherwise simulating the appearance or function of the Site; and (s) forging any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any e-mail or newsgroup posting.
- b. Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. You agree that it is your responsibility to install anti-virus software and related protections against viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or other computer programming routines or engines that are intended to damage, destroy, disrupt, or otherwise impair a computer’s functionality or operation.
- 15. Pursuant to 47 U.S.C. Section 230(d) as amended, Narratively hereby notifies you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software, or filter services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protection is available on the Internet (e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_content-control_software).
- 16. Content contributed to the Site should be relevant to the subject scope of Narratively. Content may not be illegal, obscene, defamatory, threatening, infringing of intellectual property rights, invasive of privacy or otherwise injurious or objectionable.
- 17. Narratively does not pre-screen or regularly review any contributed content, but Narratively has the right (though not the obligation) to remove, without notice, any content posted which Narratively considers, for any reason, to violate these Terms or to be outside the subject scope of the Services. Narratively may terminate any Narratively Account, with or without notice, for posting such content.
Licenses Applicable to Contributed Content
- 18. License to Narratively. Absent a prior agreement with Narratively, by posting or contributing content to the Site using these Services, you are granting Narratively a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, and worldwide license to use your content in connection with the operation of the Site and Services, and/or for educational or other non-commercial purposes, including, without limitation, (1) the license rights to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your content, and/or to incorporate it into a collective work, and (2) the right to sublicense any or all of Narratively’s license rights to others.
User Representations and Warranties
- 19. By posting any content, you represent and warrant that (a) you have all right, title, and interest to such posted content, including but not limited to any consent, authorization, release, clearance or license from any third party (such as, but not limited to, any release related to rights of privacy or publicity) necessary for you to provide, post, upload, input or submit the content, or (b) that such content is in the public domain or that your use of such content constitutes fair use. You further represent and warrant that posting such content does not violate or constitute the infringement of any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of privacy, right of publicity, moral rights, or other intellectual property right recognized by any applicable jurisdiction of any person or entity, or otherwise constitute the breach of any agreement with any other person or entity. You further represent and warrant that you are who you say you are, that you have not submitted fictitious, false or inaccurate information about yourself, and that all information contained in the posted content is true and your own work or work you are authorized to submit, and that the posted content does not contain any threatening, harassing, libelous, false, defamatory, offensive, obscene, or pornographic, material, or other material that would violate any other applicable law or regulation. You agree that you will not knowingly and with intent to defraud provide material and misleading information. You represent and warrant that the content you supply does not violate the Terms.
- 20. You acknowledge and agree to indemnify and hold Narratively, its affiliates, officers, employees and agents, harmless, including costs and attorneys’ fees, from any claim or demand made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Site or Services, your violation of these Terms, or the infringement by you or made under your Narratively Account(s), of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity.
- 21. Narratively reserves the right to change, at any time, at our sole discretion, the Terms under which these Services are offered. You are responsible for regularly reviewing the Terms. Your continued use of the Site and Services constitutes your agreement to all such Terms.
Termination of Service
- 22. Narratively disclaims all responsibility and liability for the availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Services or Site, or any software provided through the Site. Narratively reserves the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue the Services or access to the Site without any notice at any time and without any liability to you.
Scope of Terms
- 23. The Terms apply to use of and contribution to the Site and any account provided therefore. Narratively may operate additional projects or services which require separate or additional terms. Such different terms are made available through the individual project or service and are not addressed further herein.
No Waiver of Terms
- 24. Failure of Narratively to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms shall not be deemed a waiver of such right or provision in that or any other instance.
Governing Law and Entire Agreement
- 25. These Terms are governed by the laws of the United States and the State of New York, without regard to the rules of conflict of law that may cause the laws of another jurisdiction to apply. You agree to the sole and exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the federal or state courts serving Kings County, New York in the event of any dispute of any kind arising from or relating to the Site or Services, or your use or review of it. You hereby agree to personal jurisdiction by such courts, and waive any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
- 26. The Terms constitute the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes and replaces all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding such subject matter. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision or portion of these Terms to be unenforceable, the remainder of the Terms will continue in full force and effect.
The Effective Date of the Agreement is September 6, 2012.