For press requests or other general inquires, please contact us at email@example.com. If you're interested in contributing to Narratively please read the section below.
Contributing to Narratively
Narratively is devoted to original and untold human stories. We are always interested in adding new voices to the mix and we accept both pitches for story ideas and completed submissions.
We regularly publish written stories, short documentary films, audio pieces, photo essays, comics journalism and other types of multimedia. We publish stories from all over the world and are interested in all relevant pitches, regardless of location.
The best pitches include a brief description of your own storytelling experience plus a few examples of your work, along with a few paragraphs outlining your story, including the narrative arc and description of who your main subjects are. In keeping with our commitment to “untold” stories, before pitching an idea please do some background research into how widely your topic has been covered by other publications and let us know what will be new or unique about your approach.
Upcoming Themes & Topics:
We're currently seeking pitches on these specific themes:
1. Humans Behind the Headlines Deeply human stories that offer a unique and untold perspective on the important news and issues of our time.
2. The Unstoppables Rebels, visionaries and adventurers with an obsessive drive to accomplish a goal, complete a journey, or get to the top of their field, whether circumnavigating the globe or amassing the world’s largest collection of troll dolls. Example stories:
3. Secret Worlds The inside story on fascinating and mysterious places, societies and subcultures that you couldn’t make up if you tried.
4. The Naked Truth Revelations about sex, sexuality or gender that expose a larger truth about all of us.
5. Once in a Lifetime Stories about life-changing experiences and relationships - the one personal story you (or your subject) just has to share with the world.
6. Where Are They Now? The surprising and untold story of...that '90s one-hit-wonder band everyone forgot about, a cult movie that changed the world, or other cultural figures who have faded from public view. We're particularly interested in people who had a passionate and widespread following at some point in the past, but have slipped from cultural consciousness in recent years. The Narratively story about "the kids from 'Kids'" is a good example of what we want here.
7. Ordinary Obituaries Some of the best narrative journalism out there shows up in the obit section of major newspapers. But why should only the rich and famous have their full life stories told? This ongoing series (example here) is all stories of recently deceased ordinary people who perhaps had a two-line obit in a local paper, but whose lives deserve a full-length treatment. We're not looking for personal pieces about family or friends here, but deeply reported biography-style stories.
Please send all pitches or submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll review them there. If you are pitching for one of these specific themes, include that in the subject line. Also, if you have a story that seems right for Narratively, please feel free to send it our way regardless of theme – if it seems right, we’ll try to find a place for it.